Microsoft, I'm fed up explaining to people why they can't get your greatest hardware invention...

This happens at least once a week to me. I'm with a customer (or friend) and we're talking tech. I whip out my Surface Duo, currently the main Android phone in my pockets that's signed into all my stuff (social, banking), to look something up or demonstrate something in the OS. And their jaw drops.

"What is that?!"

I then have to explain that it's actually quite an old device, brought out in 2020 by Microsoft and then quietly forgotten. True, there was the Duo 2, which I loved in its own way, despite a compromised form factor - and this was also forgotten about. No real updates to either after Android 12L, with the Duo about to hit end-of-support this year, and the Duo 2 Autumn next year after yet more mandatory Android security updates.

Oh, and you can't buy them new anymore. And if anything breaks then they can't be repaired. So almost impossible to recommend, then.

I proceed with a quick demo. Two apps at once, something spanned, laptop mode, with QWERTY keyboard prominent, tent mode, watching media, etc.

"But that's phenomenal! Why didn't I hear about this?"

Because Microsoft, not for the first time in its existence, didn't have the will and commitment to put money and effort into the Duo and Duo 2. Zero mainstream marketing. Zero. And a bare minimum of business channel marketing. Just a few YouTube videos, pounced on by friendly sites and bloggers, but not pushed in any way. In fact, in the UK, it took almost a year before units were even available to buy locally.

So when someone at Microsoft pipes up with 'Well, they didn't sell well', I'd point out that almost no one knew the Duos existed. The form factor remains intriguing and beguiling, if my chats with customers and friends are good examples.

We've heard rumours online that Microsoft might have been considering dropping the dual Gorilla Glass Victus display form factor for a traditional plastic folding screen - I do believe that this was considered, but I also think Microsoft hasn't even got the commitment to make this. If a Duo 3 does get released then it'll be a Microsoft-ified and rebranded Pixel Fold. Which at least means that Microsoft doesn't have to make any hardware.

Which is also a huge shame, since the original Surface Duo, coming up on its third birthday, is a superb, repeat SUPERB, piece of hinged hardware. It doesn't matter that the single camera is underwhelming (though saved by GCam), nor that there's only the one speaker, nor that it doesn't have NFC for Google Pay, nor that it doesn't have Qi charging. As a folding tablet that can double as a last resort phone or media device or laptop, it's unique and yet to be bettered, I contend.

If only Microsoft had believed in the form factor as much as the hard core Surface Duo fans around the world.

Is it possible for Microsoft to put money into making a real Duo 3 and actually telling people about it? Sure. Will they? History suggests no, sadly...

PS. If you like this feature and want to support my work then please do so here via PayPal. Thanks.

Comments

Hi Steve, not a comment but a question. A few weeks ago I failed to maintain possession of my Z-Fold 4 (it was stolen). I tried doing without but miss using it, especially for reading. Tablets are awkward to hold and carry, and slabs are too small for productive reading. Another Fold is out of the question; after using that one for a while I concluded that the outer screen was hopelessly narrow for typing and as for the other aspects, I expected more amazingness for the amazing price.


I've been looking up similar devices and naturally the Duo(s) cropped up. My question (finally!) Is: early reviews of the Duo, first version, said it to be buggy, unreliable, poorly spec'd and to have other critical issues I don't remember. But in 2023 here you are, praising its virtues. It must be as good as you say. Do you think you just got a lucky unit or were improvements made, sufficient to make it worth buying now? It looks like such an interesting device.


Sorry, very verbose here but I hope the question is clear enough.


Thank-you in advance,
Paul
PS I lately discovered PSC, I'm now a fan of the show and thanks for keeping it up (even if you don't like BlackBerrys :) )

Popular posts from this blog

Wavelet - and better sounding speakers (and headphones) on Android...

Bluetooth keyboard incorrect PIN or password - SOLVED

How to fix Blink XT2 Camera 'Thumbnail failed' error!