Review: TORRAS Titanium kickstand N56 Magnet case

Unusually, for me, this case wasn't sent in for review - I sought it out and bought it and for good reason. The last few years have mostly seen me with a clear TPU case on my phones, in this case an iPhone 14 Pro Max, and usually a Ringke case with MagSafe built in. I've had about four of these, one for each year because the clear material starts to 'yellow' and look a bit tacky. It's a common issue with clear TPU, it seems - something to do with ultra-violet radiation when outside.

So yes, I replace the case each year, and sized for the iPhone I'm currently rocking. Except that this time I wanted to look further 'up market'. Given that I wasn't upgrading to the 16 series (I still prefer stainless steel to titanium and I'm not convinced by the new 'Camera Control'), I had funds to invest in a top notch case.


In the end it only cost me about £24, I read up about this TORRAS case and it fit the bill across the board:

  • Being smoked black, it won't yellow with age
  • The materials claim '12ft drop protection', with 'four layers of silicone'
  • The MagSafe array uses 'N56 grade magnets' that claim to be 2.5 times stronger than the phone's originals
  • The titanium kick stand is rated for 1kg and folds down to just a couple of millimetres, embedded in the back of the case's layers

Arriving in deluxe packaging, the TORRAS case has lived up to expectations - I'm a week in and loving it. Yes, it's about 1mm thicker than my previous Ringke designs, but has arguably better protection and those twin USPs of very strong magnets and titanium kick stand. Both of which I'm enjoying.


I've been an advocate of MagSafe since its launch with the iPhone 12 series - being able to locate and hold a power bank, or locate and hold my ShiftCam 'grip', or just centre itself strongly on my bedroom or office wireless chargers, I'm a MagSafe convert. So having a case which amplifies the magnetic field for even stronger attachment is a boon - it's immediately apparent and I believe the '2.5x' claim. So far I haven't noticed any side effects (e.g. on accelerometers).


I haven't regularly used a case with a kickstand before, but it's a welcome change at the breakfast table or when cooking, not to have to look for small, high friction items to 'prop up' my phone in order to watch videos and other media. 

In particular, I appreciated the slight (about 20 degrees) angle of the opened up titanium blade, enabling the kickstand function to work in landscape or portrait mode.


It's hard to evaluate the durability aspects of the TORRAS case without actually dropping the cased phone multiple times and at different heights, but I'm pretty confident in its claims. My old Ringke Fusion cases protected my daughter's iPhone from waist drops onto tarmac at the rate of about one a week - and this is more substantial still.


For less than £25, I've been impressed - my phone seems almost indestructible now (not that the stainless steel and Ceramic Shield iPhone 14 Pro Max was that fragile in the first place!), there's extra functionality, AND it shouldn't yellow or tarnish with age because most of the exposed bits are black. Result!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wavelet - and better sounding speakers (and headphones) on Android...

Bluetooth keyboard incorrect PIN or password - SOLVED

Why the Apple iPhone 14 Pro Max is better than the 15 Pro Max