You DON’T need to buy the iPhone Duo. You really don’t…

Three weeks ago I compared the upcoming Apple iPhone Duo to the old Microsoft Surface Duo, pointing out a lot of similarities in design and intent - and that the iPhone Duo is more tablet than phone - it’s designed to be used open.

Explaining a lot of the compromises in the new Duo. But I keep eyeing it up in the Apple Store anyway - and I suspect I’m not alone. But here is why you should save your £2000 and not buy it.


If you’ve been an Apple enthusiast for a while then you already have an iPhone - probably a 16 or 17 Pro, knowing my audience. Which is already way more capable than the iPhone Duo in many ways: better cameras (including a superb telephoto), better speakers, Face ID, which works so well to authenticate, better use of screen space, way better selfie camera quality when on a video call, longer battery life on a charge. And so on.


And you almost certainly own an iPad. Mine’s a humble 10th gen, but it does everything I ever ask of it. Compared to the upcoming iPhone Duo, which becomes an iPad mini, effectively, the 10th gen standard iPad has a way larger screen, far larger battery, and better stereo speakers. OK, so it doesn’t fold in half but still, it doesn’t exactly take up much room in a bag.



The point is that both your devices are better at their primary role than the compromise that is the iPhone Duo. Your existing iPhone is better at being a smartphone in almost every way. And your existing iPad is better at being a tablet than the Duo. 


AND YOU ALREADY OWN BOTH OF THEM. There is zero need to splash out two thousand dollars or pounds just to gain a cool new convergence gadget that is not as good at doing either of the things you already do with your Apple gear.


I know the temptation - I feel it myself every day when I look at the Duo promos. My heart says ‘want, want’, but my head (and my wallet) say ‘no, no’. I’d love unfolding and folding it for an hour and then I’d be hit by the lack of Face ID, the missing telephoto camera, the (probably) worse battery life and the (probably) worse speakers (than both my current devices).


So be strong on the 16th October 2026 and beyond. You don't need the iPhone Duo. You really don’t…


If you like this video and use PayPal, please encourage me to create more at https://paypal.me/stevelitchfield - thanks!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wavelet - and better sounding speakers (and headphones) on Android...

Bluetooth keyboard incorrect PIN or password - SOLVED

The iPhone 16 range and 'Fusion' photos - how does it work and how WELL does it work?