Review: Victorinox Dual Knife Sharpener

Yep, it's the official sharpener from the official Swiss Army Knife people, available for £9 on Amazon UK. I've had the Huntsman knife for the last 20 years and it's still going strong. But I've lost two generic knife sharpeners in that time and I felt it was time for a new approach.

The Victorinox knives need sharpening several times a year, assuming regular use in that time. I do like to have a razor sharp blade when needed!

The idea here is not to have a little gadget that gets lost, but a pen, shaped gadget with a pen clip, so that it can live in a pen hole in my briefcase or, if I change my mind, in one of the many pen holes in my laptop bag. Surely it can't get lost this way!!


It arrives in very secure packaging, which virtually has to be destroyed in order to get the sharpener out - but that's the modern world, sadly. And is probably designed this way to avoid theft when in-store?


The fit and finish is top notch. Take the top cap off and there's the ceramic 'V' blade pair. Pull the blade through this to sharpen, etc.


Pull the bottom section off and there's the 'honing stone'. The idea is to 'pre-sharpen' with the ceramic blades and then hone the edge with 20 degree swipes of the blade across the stone.


Helpfully, there's a diagram on the package back. But I'm guessing you'd know this if you were buying a knife sharpener in the first place?


It's hard to quantify how well this all works, other than to say that the blades were sharper after the treatment(!) The crucial thing here is that the gadget is slim enough and packaged well enough in pen form that I'll know where it is in three months time when the blades need an extra 'polish'!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wavelet - and better sounding speakers (and headphones) on Android...

Bluetooth keyboard incorrect PIN or password - SOLVED

How to fix Blink XT2 Camera 'Thumbnail failed' error!