Review: Drake Car Handle

It's a pretty vanilla product name and with no overt company branding, but as Ted and Aidan say on 'Whatever Works', whatever works, works. Very meta. Anyway...


What's going on here is a way to get an extra grab handle for getting into or out of a car door. You might know that I injured my back recently (and am still in pain as I write this) - so I was dreading getting back into my car when needed.

I saw this on Twitter as an advert, noted the price of £20 and then searched Amazon UK, finding the same item for £15. Which is about right for a very tough accessory.

You may have noticed that most car door 'jams' have a loop of tough steel, this is what the car door itself latches into - and it's tough because it's part of what makes your car safe in the event of a crash. 

But someone had the bright idea of making a (also steel) accessory that inserts into this loop and then presents a textured plastic handle at right angles, perfect for using as a brace when getting into or out of the car.


It just lifts right out after you're in (or out) and fits my Ford (at least) perfectly. The red section is designed to stand out in dim conditions, so that you know where best to place your hand.

There are a couple of LEDs built-into the handle, for use as an emergency torch or even just see where to insert the handle at night.



All rather clever. 

Hopefully I'll never have to use the glass hammer or seat belt cutter! And, once my back is better, hopefully I won't even need this gadget. But I can still see it proving useful for helping my 84 year old father in and out of my car on the way to the doctor's etc.

It's simple, it works, and it's not expensive!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wavelet - and better sounding speakers (and headphones) on Android...

Bluetooth keyboard incorrect PIN or password - SOLVED

How to fix Blink XT2 Camera 'Thumbnail failed' error!